FATE RPGs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Shai
Shai
Admin
https://faterpgs.forumotion.com

Do NPCs Get Personal FATE Points? Empty Do NPCs Get Personal FATE Points?

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:21 pm
In the Fate Core system, there is no mention as to whether NPCs get built with their own personal FATE points (FPs). The Rules as Written seem to say in a bit of a circuitous way that NPCs don't get personal FPs like PCs do, but I have found at least a single contradiction in the rulebook.

I did a CNTRL+F search of the Core Rule .pdf, and every mention of FPs is in the context of PCs, not NPCs. Same with the term "Refresh"; in fact, page 49 of the Core Rulebook specifically says, "A player character in Fate starts with a refresh of 3" (emphasis added). In fact, the book is replete with references to Refresh specifically in terms of PCs, rather than NPCs.

On page 82, it says:

"GMs, you also get to use fate points, but the rules are a little bit different than the rules for players....The NPCs under your control....have a limited pool of fate points you get to use on their behalf. Whenever a scene starts, you get one fate point for every PC in that scene. You can use these points on behalf of any NPC you want, but you can get more in that scene if they take a compel, like PCs do."

But the book contradicts all these things on pg. 220, which may just be inartfully worded:

"Main NPCs are the closest you’re ever going to get to playing a PC yourself. They have full character sheets just like a PC does, with five aspects, a full distribution of skills, and a selection of stunts." (This isn't the contradictory part...notice how FPs are noticeably absent from this list...but the book goes on...) "Because they have all the same things on their sheet as PCs do, main NPCs will require a lot more of your time and attention than other characters."

If Main NPCs have ALL the same things on their sheet as PCs do, then they should have FPs too, shouldn't they? Unless the book just meant more along the lines that all of the things on the Main NPCs' sheets appear also on the PCs sheets. I guess that's a fair reading of that passage, but it doesn't really tell us anything we haven't already seen in every RPG ever, so it seems to obvious to be a meaningful interpretation of that passage.

Also, the Core Rulebook recommends on pg. 223 that the GM "pre-load the NPC with some free invocations [of pre-created advantages] if it’s reasonable that they’ve had time to place those aspects. Use this trick in good faith, though—two or three such aspects is probably pushing the limit." I think that's definitely a good idea if your NPCs don't have their own FPs.

So, I'm getting the impression that NPCs are not built with personal FPs like PCs are, but rather all rely on the GM's scene pool of FPs.

So, if an NPC concedes in a conflict, or gets one of his aspects invoked against him, the FP that he would normally earn from that circumstance goes into the GM's scene pool, and not on the NPC's character sheet? What happens when that scene ends? Where does the NPC's earned FP go?

What if an NPC is built with one of those Stunts that requires a FP to activate it? Does that come out of the GM's scene pool of FPs?
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum